Friday 18 January 2013

Stage 1 Route - First concept

This is the first concept for Stage 1 of the trip. There are some assumptions made about the motorcycle and the route, as well as the red-tape I shall be shredding in my wake. However, the plan is to follow this route as closely as possible, while allowing myself some time to get the lay of the land and talk to some people. I am going over there to see the countries as well, so the route needs to be flexible.

The idea is to land in Singapore on January 28, 2013. Get my motorcycle sorted out through customs on January 29, 2013 and then ride around the city for a few days, crossing into Malaysia on January 31 or February 1. From there I plan to spend at least 2 weeks in Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, back to Thailand, then into Myanmar before returning to Singapore and a flight home.

I will determine whether to progress to Stage 2 when I see how things are with Myanmar. Additionally, if my funding gets a boost before the May 27 return ticket, I might try to get into India and Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, and then Turkey. If I have the time, money, and capability, Stage 2 will be initiated. I might be able to make it to ANZAC Day in Gallipoli, Turkey for April 25, but that would be just mad.

The routes will be entirely dictated by visa availability and use of the motorcycle. There have been instances when the roads must be specified for the trip to be approved with surface transport vehicles entering countries with visas. The further west you proceed, the more serious the requirement for visa and travel permits.

I will admit here and now, that if it is all really nasty, I may just extend my tour of Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia, or finalise a Chinese visa and head that direction. Flexibility will be the key.

I'll post maps of the intended route soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment