Saturday 16 February 2013

Arab Street

I found it really interesting that the bulk of Street Art seems to be centred around Arab Street (the region can also be called Kampong Glam)in Singapore. I had heard from friends that this was the place to check it out and they were absolutely correct. Only in one place in Singapore had I previously found a few stickers on a box near a bus station, but they were poor quality and only three together on the flat surface, but here there are entire walls of really good graffiti and dozens of poles with stickers up and down.
First part of a wall near Haji Lane
Second part of a wall near Haji Lane
The lanes were so close I could not get full photographs of the expanse of some of the art, including an entire wall of dozens of spear-wielding warriors and sprawling landscapes near Haji Lane. The locals, sitting on cushions smoking outside most of the buildings, looked at me like I was made as I moved the bins away from the walls to get the full shots of them.
There were a good dozen of these chaps along the walls
Additionally, against the Mexican restaurant there are some amazing Aztec-like graffiti that span two stories and were extremely difficult to photograph. I had been informed that the Mexican restaurant would be the spot to find some good street art and they were right. It is some of the most detailed I have seen and all of the same style across the walls around the restaurant.

Two stories of Aztec-inspired art on the side of the Mexican restaurant
Stylised Aztec art - some very futuristic
I'd highly recommend heading into this location in Singapore just to view the art. The pristine, almost sterile Singaporean environment is corrected in this little section of Kampong Glam. I even found a Barek Art sticker on the corner of Haji Lane and Baghdad Street.
Barek Art on Haji Lane, Kampong Glam

No comments:

Post a Comment