Tuesday 20 October 2015

Back in Malaysia - 2015

A few years ago, I brought my own bike into Malaysia via Singapore to do some driving around this beautiful and friendly country. Since then, I met my wife from the Philippines and we got married in her country, but that marriage is not recognised in Australia, so we are jumping through the visa hurdles. Recently, we found out she is pregnant, which is wonderful news, but has complicated some of those visa hurdles.

Last week, we got notified that a decision on her Prospective Marriage Visa was about to be made and she would need to leave the country immediately (if not, sooner) before that decision could be made. I have a full time job, and my poor wife is suffering through mid-term pregnancy, so she can feel very ill and have bad headaches, and sometimes be very vague and say and do strange things. It is not just her, many women during pregnancy have these types of symptoms.

As this would be the last time (for a while) we would both get to do a motorcycle tour, and she had always wanted to see Peninsular Malaysia, we thought it might be fun to hire a motorcycle in Singapore or Malaysia and do some sight-seeing.

Easier said than done!

Firstly, a big shout out to the friendly and professional chaps at Big Loud Rides in Singapore. When I contacted them, they came back immediately with a good price on a very nice Harley Davidson. If this is your thing, then you should really give them a go and have a chat. I am not really into Harley's - they are heavy bikes and I am a small guy. The bike they offered me was more than double the wet weight of my BMW GS 650, and that scared the hell out of me with a pregnant wife on the back. But if you are into Harley's and want someone who is really knowledgeable about the area, routes, and challenges, then I highly recommend them.

Also, in planning the trip, the cheapest flights were to Kuala Lumpur, so we took them. Strangely, the flights to KL via Singapore were cheaper than the flights to Singapore. I wasn't sure if I bailed at the Singapore stop over, if I would be branded a terrorist, so we decided the best plan was to follow the plan.

I found out that the MotoGP is being held at Sepang International Circuit the weekend we were going to be in Malaysia. I spoke to a few friends about rental options in Malaysia. These were the options I was given:
  1. Ride Adventure- Kuala Lumpur
  2. Ride Malaysia
  3. KL EZ Harley Davidson Bikes
When I got into contact with KL EZ and Ride Malaysia, they came back within 24 hours to let me know they had all their fleet booked out due to the MotoGP. This was quite understandable... and how I found out the MotoGP was on.

I know, I know... I am an avid motorcyclist and I didn't realise it was on. I didn't even realise it was on in Australia! I am more of a solo motorcyclist. I ride by myself, not in groups. I don't care about the new bikes racing, or who won, or what models performed well. I ride for the experience and the exploration and the fun. But I also understand that a lot of people DO care, so I got a little worried that I might have to resort to public transport.

From a personal perspective, I don't like public transport in foreign countries. I don't like trains; I don't like buses; I don't like taxis; I don't like rickshaws, tricycles, or jeepneys. I am sure my readers will understand. I like motorcycles - preferably my own. It's like other peoples kids. No they are not cute and they are not adorable... but my own are.

Using Facebook, I spoke to a chap called Mig from Ride Adventure - Kuala Lumpur and he told me immediately that his fleet was fully booked in this time period, but that he might be able to figure something out. He has offered me about half a dozen bikes that didn't quite meet my requirements. Most were bigger bikes than I wanted (FJR 1300); others were without any panier supports (FZ1, KTM 850SM), so I would have to choose the backpack or the wife and I am probably going to get in trouble for even suggesting that was a choice.

So, here I sit, in a hotel in Kuala Lumpur, waiting on a call back from Mig about access to a Versys 650. It has a rear top case, but I have asked for the case to be removed so I can use the strut for the backpack. These guys are all very busy organising for the MotoGP this weekend, so I understand I am a little fish in a big f#@%ing pond.

More to come.

This is my first post in a while, and I apologise for that. I have heaps of posts drafted but none posted. If you want more, hit me up in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment