Thursday 22 October 2015

Starting in Kuala Lumpur

With a little negotiation, I managed to secure a Kawasaki Versys 650 through Mig from Ride Adventure - Kuala Lumpur. The negotiation was more about the mechanics of how we were going to do it. Mig gave me a call to let me know he would pick me up at 1500. I got my kit ready.

Basic riding gear

I had to leave my wife to enjoy her Swasana day spa at Impiana Hotel to go and talk motorcycles with the guys - it's hard, I know. The smoke in Kuala Lumpur had closed schools for consecutive days and it was very heavy. I could feel the dryness in my throat and the redness in my eyes.

Kuala Lumpur Tower (and smoke)

Petronas Towers (and smoke)

Mig drove me to the back of Batu Caves to take copies of my International Drivers License, my Australian Drivers License, and my passport. Then I signed a copy of the rental agreement outlining the basic rules and liabilities, acknowledging that motorcycling held inherent risks. Finally, I was introduced to the motorcycle. I checked the indicators and break lights, and the bike was in reasonably good condition (although it was clear someone had previously dropped it - I had no intention of contributing). Compared to many of the bikes in Malaysia it is large at 650cc.

Leading me back to the hotel, Mig set off through the Kuala Lumpur traffic and I quickly remembered the key aspects of driving a motorcycle in Malaysia. These include:

  • Watching in your mirrors for cars that assume you will get out of their way.
  • Riding on the white line between lanes or on footpaths is perfectly normal.
  • Horns are often used to let someone know you are there rather than to warn prior to abuse.
  • Cars expect you to filter through lanes and are often annoyed if you don't.
  • Lane markers and road signs seem optional.
I don't necessarily follow these unwritten rules of the road in Malaysia, but I do try to drive safely for all road users, especially myself and try in all instances to follow the road rules and signs.


Packed and ready to go

The following day we left for Melaka. I managed to get us out of Kuala Lumpur and headed to Melaka without the use of my GPS, something I feel proud of. I certainly needed it later on arriving in Ayer Keroh and navigating Melaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment