Monday 26 October 2015

Leaving Melaka for KL

I didn't get to fully explore Melaka, even this time. I also found myself going around the place repeatedly, especially through the old Indian and Chinese areas. I did, however, get to explore some areas that I had not been able to get to last time, for instance, Jonker's Walk.

Jonker's Walk before the markets start
Jonker's Walk as the markets grow
I parked my bike in a side-street as the markets started to form along Jonker's Walk, but when I saw them growing down side alleys, I rushed back to stop the motorcycle being locked in for the night. When I arrived at my park spot, a market stall had already grown tight around my bike. I had to ask nicely to get the tables moved so I could evacuate the bike to a spot further away from the action.

Pineapple tarts - yum!
Grazing up and down the market stalls, I managed to find a traditional delicacy of the area - pineapple tarts. I love these things, but they can be a little dry, so make sure you have a drink when you gobble through a dozen or so. Don't be discouraged if they tell you they are sold out at the first place you look; there are plenty of stores that stock them. Also make sure you try the chicken rice balls.

There were also guys posing still as statues in various coloured glitter. Some were gold, others silver, others in purple or blue. This is not the same as the body builder statue, but I doubt you would ever get them mixed up.

Gold Glitter Man
Finally after several days in Melaka, we had to depart for Kuala Lumpur. There is still enough for me to return to explore more and I want to check on the status of Pulau Melaka. The trip back was almost completely without GPS and we stopped at a rest stop for a drink, but my partner decided the food looked good enough to eat even though she was not hungry. I just drank three juices and a bottle of water to replace the sweat I had expended. Still no rain, but still lots of smoke.

Departure from the Ramada Plaza Melaka hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment